Sunday, June 5, 2011

Art Fair at Aldridge Gardens



I attended a local art fair in Aldridge Botanical Gardens this weekend. It was very hot, but it was worth the visit. I have written about local art fairs before (click here), and I still think the prestige level of these types of exhibitions is probably not the best. However, there is a lot of amazing work that gets shown at these affairs, and many of the artists represented could outshine "established" artists.



As I was walking around, I was struck by the variety and creativity of the artists present. There was an artist that was selling stained glass, but she was not using the traditional stained glass methods. She had fastened glass to the surface of old windows, and then cemented the colored glass particles in place with grout. It looked amazing! Very innovative as well.

I ended up purchasing a small print from an Alabama Artist. His name was Maurice Cook. His paintings were fabulous! More can be read about him here and here. The print is pictured below.


I really enjoyed myself, and I got some interesting ideas to try in the future. As I stated in the previous posting about local art fairs, you never know who will show up to these events, and what will be inspired from being present.

No comments: