Monday, May 14, 2012

Three part post





      This past weekend I attended the "Hot Art Cool Nights" art hop in Baton Rouge. It was great, there were many things to see and experience. I think events like this are good for getting art and community together, which is something that art is supposed to do. In addition, I also found out about a cool Website that brings art and observers together in one location, and finally I finished a painting that I had been working on. So many art happenings, all at one time!

PART 1
      "Hot Art Cool Nights" was an art exhibit that took place across several venues in central Baton Rouge. It happens annually, but this is the first one I attended. More about it can be read here. Attendance seemed a little low, but I attribute that to the stormy weather. At one point I was certain it was going to rain.
        For those hearty individuals that did come out, there was much to see. One of the things I enjoyed most, was the seemingly impromptu set ups. Art was there, and people came. This idea represents a simple concept but one that worked successfully.
  
      One location that I really enjoyed was in the supermarket. Art and a live band were set up adjacent to the meat department! (There was also free wine tasting at this stop). There's just something inherently funny about art being set up and offered next to fresh cuts of meat. Good news if you came to look at and purchase art, not so good if you just stopped in for some bologna and bacon.
   I concluded the evening by sitting down and listening to the music. It was very good, and despite the photograph there were plenty of people-watching opportunities also. 

PART 2
      The Website that I found out about is called Pictify. I do not know how long it has been in existence, but the concept is very similar to Pinterest. The difference is that all of the images are works of art, many loaded by the art museums that display them. If you are addicted ti Pinterest and you like art, then this is a site for you. You can explore it here.

PART 3


      This image represents one of my most recent paintings. It's called the dance of life, and it builds on the techniques and experiments I have been discussing in recent posts. What do you think?

      Well, that is is for this week. More art to come in the future! Keep checking my website, there will be updates soon!
      

2 comments:

Veg said...

OOO! I like the dance of life.

Anonymous said...

You are doing a great job keeping us informed, not only about your art, but the art all around us. Others need to do more of the same to keep art alive and accessible to art lovers. Keep it up.