Sunday, July 1, 2012

A Journey


      This week is the 4th of July, which is my favorite holiday. People often look at me funny when I say that. But it's good fun. Most everyone has the day off, there's cookouts/barbecues, festivals, usually a live band or two, and then the whole thing is topped off with a dazzling fireworks display. What's not to like? There's no stress, no extraneous preparation, no commercial shopping that has to be done. It's just good old fashioned fun!
      One of the best Independence Day (as the official holiday is called) celebrations I attended was the one in our nations capitol on the steps of the Capitol Building. It was the annual "Capitol Fourth," and that particular year it was hosted by Elmo (note the picture above). And it was  through my art that I got to attend this event.
      Last week I had mentioned how my first solo exhibition had resulted from my participation in a local art fair. Well, that solo show was in Washington D.C. and it was a July First Friday event. That meant that my work had to be up on July 1st (Sat), and be ready for the opening later that Friday (July 7). The gallery was closed on the 4th, so after I had set up my work over the weekend, I took in the sights of "The District," and enjoyed one of the best 4th of July's ever!
      The point of this post is that you never know where your art will take you. When I had entered that local art fair I had no idea it would ultimately lead to a solo show, a great 4th of July, and the opportunity to see Elmo in person. If you are an art maker and enjoy your craft, keep at it. You never know what type of journey it may lead you on.

  
      An upcoming event is the Louisiana Art and Artist's Guilds River Road Show Exhibition. I am a member of LAAG, and I am taking this opportunity to spread the word. If you or anyone you know would like to participate, I encourage you to do so. Who knows where it will take you!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Life is full of surprises, glad one of yours was so good, and has led you on to other good things. Just keep your heart and mind open...and keep up the good art work and blogging!