Sunday, January 22, 2012

Surreal Salon IV


The posting for this week is somewhat of a followup from a previous posting in 2010. In that entry I briefly discussed a Halloween costume I wore for a party. It can be read here. That entry was and is my most-viewed post to date. This fact contributed to my decision to reuse this costume for the Surreal Salon IV costume party.


If you are unfamiliar with the painting portrayed, Rene Magritte's Son of Man is presented below.


The reaction to my costume was very positive. When I wore this to the Halloween party in 2010 I brought a printed copy of the painting with me to explain what I was. This time, not only did I NOT need to bring a copy of the painting, I was one of about a dozen Rene Margritte "apple people." People were very excited to see me, and I cannot recall another time when I had my picture taken by more strangers. At one point, myself and three other "apples" were grouped together for a group picture. See below.




The Surreal Salon IV was an exhibition and celebration of surrealist art featuring over 60 works by 54 artists from across the country. The costume party was an extension of the opening reception. More on this can be read here, with an article from The Advocate here. The event was very well attended, and the imaginative costumes present added to the fun atmosphere. An example is found below.


This event featured something for everyone. Outside the gallery the band Mobley kept things going with superb music. If you have time click the link and give them a listen. Prior to this event I had not heard of Mobley (from Austin, TX), but they are very good. In addition, there were drinks, and a chocolate fondue waterfall. An area off the main gallery also allowed participants the opportunity to engage in "Surreal Games." To top it all off, the art exhibited was excellent. I have included examples of some of my favorites.




The Surreal Salon has become an annual event. I had a wonderful time, and plan to attend the Surreal Salon V next year. I just need to come up with a better, more original costume. Any ideas?

No comments: